Tuesday, August 17, 2021

A month in NYC!

Well, I'm only about two years behind on blogging so there's that. I've missed it. I love journaling my life for both the memories and to practice composing more than just a quick email or text message.

My plan is to work on updating our month living in New York City and then slowly work through to backlog that spans to September, 2019. LIFE BEFORE COVID. Can you imagine?! We were all so young and innocent back then.

Anyway, I've wanted to live in New York City since the day I was born. I think I came out of the womb signing Sinatra's New York, New York. (I checked and the song was released in 1977 so this is feasible given that I didn't debut until 1984. I've not conferred with my mom to see if she recalls hearing this upon giving birth to me, but it was a long time ago so she may have forgotten by now.)

Given that I work remotely and have exclusively since 2016, the pandemic did not change much for me as far as that goes. It did, however, mean that Jackson transitioned from traveling to present to folks to doing it via the web. This means he can also work from anywhere right now. Since vaccines have rolled out we were not sure how much longer all of this freedom to work anywhere was going to last. Basically, the stars had aligned and we spent a large sum of money to rent a furnished studio apartment in Manhattan for a month! We were there from August 16, 2021 until September 15, 2021. It was an AMAZING experience that I cannot wait to relive via writing these blog entries. 

For now, though, here is a tour of our small place. 


We spent roughly $4,500 to rent this place for the month on Airbnb. That felt like a ton of money to a girl from small town Indiana, but the New Yorkers we met found it to be a fair price. Who knows?! We just needed a place that allowed dogs and had laundry which sounds simple and is not. It was a 4th floor walk-up which was undisclosed until we arrived. Whoops! We got a lot of exercise carrying MacKenzie up and down those stairs. MacKenzie is 14 now and will do some stairs, but just cannot take them all like she used to. She was a trooper and certainly adjusted just fine to life in the city, though.

As I said, it was an incredible trip and I'm excited to write all about it. Stay tuned! 

No comments: